Tuesday, February 13, 2024

ESV Chronological Plan, Day 44 | Leviticus 11-12


LOOK | WHAT DOES IT SAY?

Read Leviticus 11:1-12:8

THINK | WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Bacon is the most Christian food. When I was a youth pastor and was trying to figure out a way to get kids into appreciating the Old Testament, I used to tell them that bacon is the most Christian food. "I love bacon," they would say. "Please tell me how eating bacon helps me love Jesus." And I would respond with the following: (1) In the Old Testament, according to Leviticus 11, we could not eat bacon. It was forbidden to God's people. (2) When Jesus came, he set aside many of the Old Testament laws. He became our sacrifice, so we no longer needed to offer sacrifices. He replaced the temple, so we no longer needed the ceremonial cleanliness laws related to coming to the temple. He removed the dividing wall between Gentile and Israelite, and "made us both one" (Ephesians 2:11-14), so many of the markers meant to divide Israelites and Gentiles in their looks, dress, and food were no longer required of us. (3) Of the laws that Jesus set aside, fulfilling them in himself, were the laws about unclean foods--including bacon! (4) Therefore, we can now eat bacon, because of Jesus. (5) Therefore when we eat bacon, this food in particular should draw us into thankfulness towards, and love of, Jesus. And you know what--the kids loved the argument. And our Old Testament study. And bacon. And Jesus.

A law for every part of life. The laws of Leviticus were not experienced, and are not experienced, by Jews as a terrible burden that God has unjustly placed upon them. Instead David wrote "Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD" (Psalm 119:1). When I read through Leviticus in my 20's during a season tree planting in British Columbia, I remember coming away with the thought that in many ways the weirdest laws in the book all added up together would have been strangely comforting. Imagine--everything in your life, from the food you eat, to the materials of the clothing you wear, to the way that you cut (or don't cut) your hair, the way that you harvest crops from your field, to the customs that you observe after having children--all of these things across every part of your day are a continual reminder to you that you belong to God and are one of His chosen people. Every part of your life looks different because God loves you. Whether or not a modern believer chooses to observe these laws (as Messianic Jews -who in my experience, most of them tend to be Gentiles from birth- choose to do), surely we should be able to say the same, especially in the current cultural climate. We might ask, "Why does my life look so different from the lives of those around me?" The answer is, "Because God has loved me and chosen me to belong to Him."

RESPOND | WHAT IS OUR PART?

When we see Old Testament laws that no longer apply to Christians directly, we should ask how they still might apply spiritually. God, who gave these laws to Israel, has a character that never changes. So if the law itself was temporary, what might have been the spiritual truth that He was teaching them through these laws? Here are a couple of possibilities, with application: "Through the dietary laws, we're reminded of the importance of discernment in what we consume, not just physically but also spiritually, ensuring that what we intake aligns with God's standards for holy living. Additionally, the purification rituals underscore the significance of spiritual cleanliness and renewal, urging us to seek purification and restoration in God's presence after seasons of life's transitions."

PRAY | HOW DOES THIS BRING US CLOSER TO GOD?

Here is a suggested prayer prompt: "God, you possess all wisdom, and you freely offer to give guidance to those who seek your wisdom (James 1:5). As your law in the Old Testament taught Israel to discern between foods, help me to discern what is pleasing to you in all aspects of my life, whether in what I consume spiritually or how I live. Give me the strength to pursue holiness; to seek you in every part of my life. Cause my life to clearly demonstrate that I belong to you. Lead me by your Spirit and cause my life to reflect your glory."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter into the conversation! No anonymous comments.