Friday, January 26, 2024

ESV Chronological Plan, Day 26 | Job 32-34


LOOK | WHAT DOES IT SAY?

Read Job 32:1-34:37

THINK | WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

(A) Unlike Job, who we know to be -mostly- correct in his assessment of his problem because of the material in the first two chapters, or his friends who are rebuked in the final chapters, we don't have any outside commentary from the book of Job on the speeches of Elihu. We only know that he is given a lot of space to speak. To be honest, the speeches of Elihu require more careful study than I have previously given them--or to the whole book of Job in general, which is one of the most difficult to understand texts of Scripture. (That doesn't mean that it isn't important to understand, though; I have already been surprised and helped by Christopher Ash's comments earlier on during the readings through Job.) I've already picked Job as the book that I will be studying carefully in the second part of this year. But I did recently see an article for Desiring God (an excellent ministry and resource, founded by John Piper) on the speeches of Elihu. And, going back to check, it turns out it was written by--Christopher Ash, who has become something of a helpful guide through the book of Job so far. I recommend the article to others in full. Here is a snippet:

"Over the years, I have changed my mind about Elihu. In my first book on Job, I argued that while Elihu was not to be dismissed out of hand, what he says is nevertheless 'not authoritative.' He 'is not a prophet, speaking accurately for God; but neither is he a false prophet to be utterly condemned.' However, while writing a full commentary on Job, I became persuaded that Elihu is indeed a true prophet of God. My introduction reflects this change of view: 'Although many scholars disagree, and I myself used to feel that his was an ambiguous voice, I am now persuaded that Elihu speaks by inspiration of the Spirit as a true and prophetic voice.' Why have I changed my mind? My positive evaluation of Elihu cuts across the grain of much scholarly opinion. I have twelve commentaries on Job in my study. Eleven of them think poorly of Elihu. Nevertheless, some theologians from the past agree — or at least see Elihu in something of a positive light: Gregory the Great (ca. 540–604)... Thomas Aquinas (1225–1274)... [and] John Calvin has not a word to say against Elihu. In her scholarly study of Calvin’s exegesis of Job, Susan E. Schreiner argues, 'There are few people in the Bible Calvin admires more than Elihu,' who speaks 'as a true doctor of the church.' Indeed 'Calvin’s elevation of Elihu is as decisive as that of Maimonides [1138-1204, a Jewish rabbi and philosopher who became one of the most influential Torah scholars of the middle ages]; like Maimonides, Calvin sees Elihu as teaching essentially the same truth declared in the whirlwind speech.'"

(B) Matthew Henry has this to say about Elihu waiting his turn to speak until the older men had done so: "Elihu spoke because he thought that it was time to speak, and that now, at length, it had come to his turn, v. 4, 5. (1.) He had waited on Job's speeches, had patiently heard him out, until the words of Job were ended. (2.) He had waited on his friends' silence, so that, as he would not interrupt him, so he would not prevent them, not because they were wiser than he, but because they were older than he, and therefore it was expected by the company that they should speak first; and Elihu was very modest, and would by no means offer to abridge them of their privilege. Some certain rules of precedency must be observed, for the keeping of order. Though inward real honour will attend true wisdom and worth, yet, since every man will think himself or his friend the wisest and worthiest, this can afford no certain rule for the outward ceremonial honour, which therefore must attend seniority either of age or office; and this respect the seniors may the better require because they paid it when they were juniors, and the juniors may the better pay because they shall have it when they come to be seniors."

RESPOND | WHAT IS OUR PART?

I remember as a teenager, and a new Christian, having a difficult time reading through the first chapter of Ephesians. Although it seems completely clear to me now, I couldn't understand a thing that was being said in that chapter. I read it slowly. I tried to memorize it. I wrote it down and then re-wrote it in my own words (not an exercise that I would try today with the Bible, but it had worked for understanding some difficult material when preparing for debates in the past). But the meaning was completely hidden from my understanding. Given how clear the text seems now, I wonder if the meaning was actually being hidden from me at that time. Why would God do/allow that? I believe that it's because through that process, God humbled me and showed me that I needed him to give me wisdom. The process also taught me to follow God even when I did not understand some things -while not giving up, and still fighting to understand that which wasn't clear to me- a process that occasionally repeats itself. God tends to meet me in a special way during seasons where he sends me out on frustrated walks, tossing around some problem or idea that I can't seem to figure out, and asking him to show me what I don't know. If he didn't draw me into these seasons occasionally, I would be tempted to feel like I'm pretty smart and have everything figured out. So I am glad that God loves me enough to take me to the mat every once in a while, wrestle me on to my shoulders, and show me that I still have a long way to go before I have it all figured out. However, it is also possible that you might see this text pretty clearly where I don't. As Elihu points out, wisdom is not just for certain groups of people like the aged (or pastors). If God has shown you something here, go for it and let me know.

PRAY | HOW DOES THIS BRING US CLOSER TO GOD?

Here is my prayer this morning: "God, thank you for guiding me in wisdom when I am completely at a loss as to what to make of things. Help me to walk with you, and to wait for you to show me the true understanding of things; not to reach for easy but unsatisfying answers, or to just grab onto the opinion of someone who seems like they know what the answer is, but to continue to apply my mind and wait for your wisdom. Guide me into a deeper experience of trust and humility through this process, and teach me your Word."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter into the conversation! No anonymous comments.